COVID-19 Advice for event organisers
Last reviewed 1 July 2020
New Zealand is now at Alert Level 1. This means that the specific controls and legal requirements for events at Alert Levels 1, 2 and 3 have been lifted. However, COVID-19 will almost certainly re-emerge, so a voluntary code has been developed for events.
Voluntary code for events
This Events Sector Voluntary Code outlines what the Events Sector can do to safely deliver events by following best practice expectations, which are based on Ministry of Health guidance to reduce COVID-19 related risks. It will enable the Events Sector to appropriately support the Ministry of Health to contact trace if an outbreak of COVID-19 were to occur. This code is not intended to replace existing systems and processes that the Events Sector have in place in accordance with existing legal obligations, nor is it legally binding.
The Code has been developed by the Events Sector in consultation with New Zealand Major Events at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
Who is the code for?
- Event management professionals
- Promoters, owners, agencies and production organisations
- Suppliers and service providers
- Governing bodies.
What does the code include?
- Commitment to the Ministry of Health guidance
- Facilitates effective contact tracing
- Record retention guidance
- Ways to ensure health of operators and attendees
- Encourages a culture of best practice COVID-19 risk management.
How to use the code
- Review the principals of the Code to determine where they might be overlaid alongside your existing health, safety and risk management plans.
- You may also publish this code on your website and/or other communications channels, such as sharing with your internal and external networks.
- Alert levels specify the public health and social measures that must be taken. For more information on the Alert levels visit the COVID-19 website.(external link)
- Visit the government's COVID-19 website to find out how to slow the spread of the disease.(external link)
- Go to the Immigration New Zealand website for more information and updates on travel restrictions.(external link)
- Refer to the Ministry of Health website for the most up-to-date information for travellers and self-isolation.(external link)
- If your event and business has been impacted, refer to business.govt.nz for the most up-to-date COVID-19 information for businesses.(external link)
- Visit the Ministry of Health website(external link) for the most up-to-date information on public and private gatherings.
- For more detailed information for managing an event at each of the Alert Levels see the Ministry of Health Website(external link)
Is there any financial support available for the events industry?
It is a very difficult time for many industries, including our events industry. With the current focus on eliminating the virus, we must all work together and follow Alert Level requirements.
The Government announced that it will extend its broad business support package for those impacted by COVID-19. While this has not been developed or tailored for individual sectors such as the events industry, your business may still be able to access support.
Please visit covid19.govt.nz(external link) for more information on the financial support available. This site also includes Government helpline numbers if you would like to determine whether your business is eligible for assistance.
Further information for businesses can also be found at the business.govt.nz website.(external link)
If you need further assistance regarding application for your business, please call the BusinessNZ line: 0800 500 362 for North Island, or 0800 50 50 96 for South Island.
Who to contact if you need any more information
The Ministry of Health website is the best source of information about COVID-19.
If you have any concerns about your health, visit the Ministry of Health website or call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 or +64 9 358 5453.
If you have any other general enquiries about your event, please email email@example.com.