Develop an environmental strategy
Once your objectives are set and agreed, develop a strategy that:
- sets out the rationale for the objectives
- determines what is going to be done to reduce the environmental impacts of hosting the event.
The strategy should include:
- an overview of the identified environmental impacts the event is likely to have
- a clearly defined scope, i.e. what environmental impacts will and will not be included in the strategy
- an aim setting out what the strategy aims to achieve
- objectives – how the aim will be achieved. Ideally there should be an objective for each chosen focus area, e.g. waste, transport or energy
- targets – a measurable statement against which success can be measured, e.g. 60% waste diverted from landfill
- stakeholders – the key people (e.g. partners and suppliers) who will be involved in ensuring the strategy is delivered
- measuring success – how the successful implementation of the strategy will be measured
- risk mitigation – what the risks are and how these will be managed
- the timelines.