Government’s $900,000 boost to take WOW international
The World Of WearableArts (WOW) has received a $900,000 investment from Government, through the Major Events Development Fund over the next three years (2014-2016). The investment aims to raise the international profile of the event in New Zealand and achieve international growth by supporting three key initiatives;
- Three international touring exhibitions, to be staged at museums in Asia, Europe and North America;
- An international education programme, including opportunities for international design students to enter the competition, and a focus on attracting international students to study in New Zealand; and
- Opportunities for international business representatives to be hosted, both at the main event in Wellington and at the touring exhibitions.
The first international touring exhibition opens on 21 November 2014 at Auckland War Memorial Museum, before embarking on a world tour. The exhibition features a showcase of WOW garments, selected from previous year’s winners, and offers a behind the scenes look at the garments, the artists and their experiences, as well as seeing how the competition and awards show comes together. This is the first chance for New Zealanders to see the exhibition before it heads offshore.
- WOW is currently showing at Wellington’s TSB Arena; 25 September – 11 October 2014
- Exhibition at Auckland War Memorial Museum, free with museum entry; 21 November 2014 – 22 March 2015
“Celebrating the World of WearableArt event on a global stage and presenting a taste of the WOW experience around the world is the realisation of a dream come true. We are excited to be able to share the creativity and inspiration that WOW generates.”
- WOW Founder Dame Suzie Moncrieff
Image: In The Op, Ling Lai Kit Ling, Hong Kong Design Institute, Hong Kong. 2012 Brancott Estate WOW Awards Show, Tourism New Zealand Avant Garde Section. Photo credit: World of WearableArt Ltd.
Front page image: Sisters Of Acropolis, Tracey Koole, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland. American Express Open Section, 2003 WOW awards show. Photo credit: World of WearableArt Ltd.