What are the criteria?
The government invests in major events that generate significant immediate and long-term economic benefits and align with wider government objectives through leverage and legacy opportunities.
Event organisers seeking investment will be required to show evidence that the event will significantly and measurably impact on the following areas in the immediate and long-term:
- Tourism revenue e.g. will attract international visitors and expenditure to New Zealand.
- New Zealand brand promotion e.g. opportunity to showcase New Zealand through international media.
- Business and trade opportunities e.g. investment and export opportunities created.
- Increased participation in sports, arts or culture e.g. growth in participation and high achievement in event field.
- Increased employment opportunities e.g. short and long-term employment created by the event.
- National identity and pride e.g. opportunities to celebrate New Zealand culture and heritage and include local communities in event delivery.
- Event sector capability e.g. building additional event governance, management and delivery skills.
The Fund is contestable. Preferential consideration may be given to events which:
- Are timed to fall within off-peak or shoulder tourism periods.
- Provide balance to the existing portfolio of government-supported events including:
- The purpose of funding (attract, grow and retain);
- The types of benefits provided by the event;
- Existing mix of event type (arts, culture, sporting);
- Regional spread throughout New Zealand;
- Opportunities to establish or develop a ‘home-grown’ New Zealand event.
- Its core event management team have a track record of successful event delivery, and best practice governance, event management and risk management strategies.
- Are strongly supported by key stakeholders including local government or the equivalent local/regional events body, and endorsement of the national body relevant to the event (if applicable); or
- Are supported by a significant level of commercial and sponsorship revenues.
Do I need to meet all the criteria in order to qualify?
Decisions are based on the extent to which the event has the potential to meet the criteria. The funding is contestable and as all applications are assessed comparatively within each funding round, it is helpful for events to meet as many criteria as possible.
Funding goes to those organisations which best meet the criteria and show a clear rationale for government investment.
Does it have to be a New Zealand event to be eligible for funding?
Events which take place offshore are unlikely to be supported through the MEDF.